Dental Assistant - Part time
Proudly serving Australians since 1928, the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) provides emergency aeromedical and allied health services for people in rural and remote Australia. We strive towards improving the health and wellbeing of our rural communities and believe in creating opportunities so all Victorians have the choice to access essential primary health care services.
Royal Flying Doctor Dental team are excited to be growing our presence in regional and rural communities across the state. We are currently seeking a part time or full time Dental Assistant to join our experienced team of Dentists, Oral Health Therapists, Dental Assistants and Program Managers. The role requires travelling to rural locations throughout Victoria to provide essential dental services to small communities that do not have easy access to public dental services.
A large proportion of people living in remote and rural Australia do not have access to a regular dental service. Recognising the important link between oral health and overall health, the RFDS has established oral health services in parts of remote and rural Australia. These services are provided using fly-in fly-out, mobile and outreach deliver models.
This role is so much more than a regular Dental Assistant role! Imagine working in your chosen profession within the dental industry and being able to travel to parts of Victoria you have never seen before to deliver a service that my otherwise not be accessible if it weren't for the RFDS dental programs. Not only is this role rewarding, but you would also be working for a service that wants to invest time in you providing both internal and external training days in order to ensure you have the best opportunities of growing within your career.
Working as a Dental Assistant with the Royal Flying Doctor Service will mean that no two days are the same. This position will give you the opportunity to work not only in all types of locations but also across three different clinical settings. The RFDS dental team operate from a fixed clinic, as a part of the smile squad and also out of our amazing dental trucks - a dental clinic on wheels!
The Dental Assistant is responsible for the provision of chair-side dental assistance and also administration as part of the Flying Doctor Dental Clinic. In this role you will alternate between spending one full working week on the road (Monday to Friday), and then 2 days in our Richmond office providing administrative support.
Take a look at the difference we made to the local community of Hopetoun:
Flying Doctor Dental Clinic in Hopetoun - YouTube
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide dental assistance to dentists and/or oral health therapists in a mobile or fixed dental clinic
- Provision of chair side assistance
- Prepare, maintain and monitor equipment including autoclave, x-ray and ultrasonic machines and the medical fridge
- Identify and notify appropriate personnel of any equipment problems, including repairs and maintenance of dental chairs, compressors and suction
- Ensure the environment and equipment are sterile and clean at all times
- Assist with maintaining stock levels including ordering, replenishing, unpacking, storing and rotating of stock
- Adhere to Dental Health Services Victoria (DHSV) and RFDS Victoria governance policies and procedures, and National Safety & Quality in
Healthcare Service (NSQHS) Standards – Dental
- Make and manage appointments for dental patients
- Assist with promotion of health programs to patients, stakeholders and other relevant parties
- Actively promote a positive public image of RFDS Victoria.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Certificate III/ IV in Dental Assisting
- CPR and defibrillation certification
- Previous experience in a public dental clinic within the Australian Healthcare system (desirable)
- Previous experience with the provision of mobile dental services (desirable)
- Previous experience with use of Titanium (desirable)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills and experience using all Microsoft Office applications
- Willingness to travel to locations throughout Victoria as required
- Current drivers licence
- Current Working with Children's Check
If you are passionate about all things Dental and share our vision of bringing health care to rural and remote Australians, what are you waiting for? We would love to hear from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter today!
Applications will be assessed as received and only applicants shortlisted for an interview will be contacted directly.
RFDS is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.